Deutsche Porzellanmarken von 1710 bis heute
by Robert E. Roentgen
The 2007 Battenberg edition is really not worth the paper. There are tons of errors repeated over and over again and I could not list them all here without having to copy a fair portion of the 320 pages. For example, many marks with "West Germany" or such are listed as "19xx until today" or similar, meaning the book claims that marks with East/West Germany designator were still in use over 15 years after German reunification. Go figure.
Bruchmühlbach (Rhineland Palatinate)
Many ⇒Winterling Feinkeramik marks listed as "from 1972 until today" (book release 2007), the factory however closed in 1995.
Mark №·597 is not a mark of the Porzellanfabrik H. Schmidt but obviously that of Richard Klemm from Dresden.
There is no entry for the Christian Carstens K.G., a porcelain decoration studio and porcelain factory that later became the V.E.B. Gräfenroda which specialized on ceramics.
Mark №·1031 ⇒Henneberg entry has a typo error, "1977-1900" should of course read "1977-1980".
Mark №·1033 is of course not a Henneberg mark but quite obviously one from ⇒Zeh, Scherzer & Co..
Mark №·1134 of ⇒Rudolf Wächter is claimed to have been used from 1893 onwards, which is pure nonsense as the mark clearly states "Bavaria". The original decoration studio was located in Hüttensteinach (Thuringia) until 1913. Wächter then moved his business to Kirchenlamitz in Bavaria and teamed up with Erhard Fürbringer. The correct info therefore is that the shown mark was used 1914-1939, only the basic "R.W." initials were used previously.
Mark shown as Martha Budich is actually long proven to be that of ⇒Karl Klette.
Roentgen for some reason did not include an entry for the business of Oechsler & Andechser.
The founding year of the R.&E. Pech company is wrong: the factory was the successor of the Gebrüder Kühnlenz which had been established in 1884 and was sold to R.&E. Pech in 1929, hence they started production in 1930 (and not in 1830).
Roentgen for some reason did not include an entry for the business of Gisela Keilhauer. He does not even mention the original factory of Josef Franz Sieber in Schwarza an der Saale near Rudolstadt which relocated to Küps after the war.
Landstuhl (Rhineland Palatinate)
All ⇒Krister marks listed as "19xx until today" (book release 2007), the factory however closed in 1971.
Mark №·1417 is not a mark of the Metallporzellanfabrik Deusch but one used by Manfred Veyhl from Plüderhausen (Baden-Wuerttemberg); one can even see the name 'VEYHL' used in the banner.
The entry on this town shows marks of the Mathes & Co. and Mathes & Ebel companies, mentioning that the original factory was the ⇒Porzellanfabrik Carl Schlegelmilch. Roentgen however does not list any marks from that factory; if he had added some, he would surely have noticed that he incorrectly quoted the first name as Karl.
The two marks of ⇒Drechsel & Strobel are claimed to have been used until 1908 and 1910 respectively, which is nonsense. The Gebrüder Winterling company had taken over in 1903 and evidently only used their own marks from then on.
Many Kerafina G.m.b.H. marks listed as "19xx until today" (book release 2007), the factory however closed in 2002.
The company dates of Jaeger, Thomas & Co. and subsequently Jaeger & Co. are totally screwed up. The company was established 1872 (not 1898), Thomas left in 1898 (not 1902), opening his own factory in 1903. Roentgen also states that the Jaeger Porzellan G.m.b.H. was still operational (book release 2007), the factory however closed in 1986.
The description of mark №·1520 includes the passage "... for deliveries to US importer George Borgfeldt in New York ..." which is total nonsense, the initials G.H.B.Co. represented the company of George H. Bowman from Cleveland, Ohio.
Mark №·1522 is not a mark used by Porzellanfabrik Jaeger & Co. but evidently that of ⇒Wilhelm Jäger (Eisenberg, Thuringia). The dating is off, too: shown mark was actually used between 1911 and 1920.
Mark №·2076 is correctly attributed to Marcus & Co. but is placed in between Greiner & Herda itself and their successor Neuerer. The business of Marcus & Co. however had abslutely nothing to do with either of them, meaning that many people are confused why the entry turns up there. Well, instead of having been made into a stand-alone entry, the 'Marcus' was simply alphabetically slotted in between 'Greiner' and 'Neuerer'.
Entry for mark №·2273 states that the company of ⇒Max Roesler from 1925 onwards was a subsidiary of the Aelteste Volkstedter (Volkstedt, Thuringia). Neither the extensive documentation on the Aelteste Volkstedter nor the info on Roesler back this claim. The only connection the two companies ever had was that the Max Roesler company purchased the former Großherzogliche Keramische Manufaktur in Darmstadt *from* the Aelteste Volkstedter.
Entry №·2859 on ⇒Rudolf Kämmer is incorrectly dated: the KSK mark was only used by the predecessor Kämmer & Kramer located in the town of Schwarza between 1946 and 1953.
Entries №·2378 and №·2379 on ⇒Bauer & Pfeiffer are incorrectly dated, shown marks were used until 1934 (and not 1918, as claimed).
Schwarza an der Saale (Thuringia)
Roentgen for some reason did not include an entry for the business of Josef Franz Sieber which relocated to Küps after WW2 under the name of Gisela Keilhauer.
The entry for Heinrich & Co. contains a doublette: shown mark №·2433 and mark №·2436 are the same.
All mark datings of the Al-Ka / Alboth&Kaiser / Kaiser entry are totally screwed up, e.g. mark №·2618 is claimed to have been used between 1926 and 1953 even if the whole design is obviously from a later period. The official mark reference of that company clearly shows that it was indeed used between 1967 and 1970. With other words: the whole Roentgen entry regarding this company is useless.
Mark №·2633 describes the history of the Wiefel company from Steinbach near Sonneberg (Thuringia) which is in itself correct. The mark shown however belongs to Gerhard Knopf from another town, Steinbach an der Haide, which today is part of Ludwigsstadt (Upper Franconia).
Mark №·2652: The factories of Reinhold (established 1869) and Erdmann Schlegelmilch (established 1861) were not related and stood in opposition. Roentgen actually claims that the shown mark was the 50th anniversary mark of the Erdmann Schlegelmilch factory, using Reinhold's basic R.S. wreath mark but adding both names. It should be obvious that shown mark is a FAKE!
Mark №·2714 represents a capital P in front of a sunburst, dating it from between 1922 and 1935 and incorrectly claiming that it was used by Carl Hans Tuppack. Shown mark however belonged to his predecessor, the ⇒Schlesische Porzellanfabrik Tiefenfurt, and as such has to be dated between 1916 and 1919.
Mark №·2715 shows TUPPACK above a crowned S and TIEFENFURT, claiming use between 1922 and 1935. Shown mark is however the earlier version (1919 - 1922), the version used between 1922 and 1935 also included the term ECHT.
Mark №·2725 shows a wreathed mark owned by ⇒Kuno Steinmann which is claimed to be the "50 years company anniversary mark used from 1933 onwards", which is not quite correct: it was the company's 65th anniversary.
The first period of the Porzellanfabrik Tirscherneuth is incorrectly listed as ranged from "1938 - 1880" which should actually read "1838 - 1880"
Mark №·2775 is claimed to have belonged to A. Porzelius, who is supposed to have used it between 1881 and 1891. Both is nonsense as the mark was evidently introduced by the company merger named ⇒Aelteste Volkstedter Porzellanmanufaktur und Porzellanfabrik Unterweißbach vormals Mann & Porzelius A.G. and was used between 1901 and 1936.
There is no entry on the business of Hans Schwägerl & Sohn nor its successor, the Porzellan Schwägerl G.m.b.H..
Waldenburg / Niedersalzbrunn (Silesia)
The factory of Hermann Ohme was located in Niedersalzbrunn whilst his decoration studio was located in Waldenburg.
The company founded by Johann Haviland was first taken over by the Italian Richard-Ginori Group 1924/1925 and then sold to the Rosenthal group in 1936. It remained operational as Rosenthal subsidiary until its closure in 1978, hence the mark runtime datings for №·2917 (1928-1998) and №·2919 (1966-1998) are complete nonsense. Both marks were of course only used between 1936 and 1978 (it was the mark registration which finally expired in 1998).
Entry №·2989 shows a mark from the ⇒Porzellanfabrik Christian Seltmann but the date range is wrong. It was used between 1924 and 1946 (not 1954-1948); also hold in mind that the version used between 1946 and 1949 would of course include the US Zone addition. Entry №·2992 also shows a wrong dating, Seltmann states that it was only used during the 1920s (not "1954 until today").
Zell / Harmersb. (Baden-Wuerttemberg)
Entry №·3062 incorrectly states "1907 until today" and "Mark around 1924 on porcelain". Shown mark was used between 1907 and 1928 and on porcelain only.
© 2004-2018 C.S.Marshall, all rights reserved