by Ludwig Danckert (*1915, †1998)
Prestel Books, Munich 1992
The shown ROYAL EPIAG mark in the entry for the Porzellanfabrik Victoria is misplaced. It actually belongs to the next entry, that of the Porzellanfabrik Oscar & Edgar Gutherz.
Info on some Schiller & Gerbing marks is wrong and there never was a tie to the Isleworth Pottery. The confusion is based on the fact that the pottery in England also marked with an "S&G" mark (sometimes above an "I", as shown in Danckert), simply because the proprietor company was named Shore & Goulding.
This book does not include an entry for the Porzellanfabrik Bogutschütz (or it's Polish successor, the Zaklady Porcelany Bogucice).
The Eberau (correct: Ebrach-Eberau) entry mentions that Irmgard Lang "worked in the tradition of manufacturer Margarete Freitag, Großbreitenbach" without explaining that this meant the factory of her parents, Margarete and Moritz Freitag. Furthermore, why does Danckert include Freitag's Großbreitenbach marks under the Ebrach-Eberau entry but leave out the marks actually used by Lang ?
Danckert did not include an entry for the factory in Elsterwerda.
One entry for this town contains information on a small factory founded 1891; shown mark however can not be correct as it reads 'BAVARIAN CHINA' over 'GERMANY'. The mark picture is obviously misplaced; the mark which *should* have been shown here is one depicting the Tetschen castle and chain bridge above 'WALLENDAR, AUSTRIA'.
Entry on Porzellanfabrik Unger, Schneider & Cie. contains lot of errors. First, the comments on the awards received are correct from the dating, but note the wrong location in two cases as it was in Paris (not Melbourne) in 1878 and in Sydney (not Brussels) in 1879. Referring to the nationalized Porzellanfabrik Carl Schneiders Erben, this book shows a crowned '1877' claiming it to be the anniversary mark used 1934. Actually, the comments on the last two marks are totally wrong as the mark shown as anniversary mark is that of the Porzellanmanufaktur Wagner & Apel during the period as VEB Vereinigte Zierporzellanwerke Lichte; the VEB Gräfenthaler Porzellanfiguren did not dictate a centralized VEB mark but allowed the single facilities in this group to use their own marks (even if the text VEB Gräfenthaler Porzellanfiguren was sometimes used as standalone addition). Last but not least the first four marks shown are incorrectly attributed. These marks belong to the facility of Gotthelf Greiner from Großbreitenbach, as is shown by Dr. Rudi Greiner-Adam in his book "Der Schwabenhans" (a great documentation on his anchestors).
There is no entry for the business of Freitag & Pecher or its successor Moritz Freitag, instead the marks used by the latter are listed under the location of his daughter's business in Eberau (which should actually be Ebrach-Eberau).
The stated founding date of the Gebrüder Schoenau factory is incorrect, it was actually 1817 (not 1865).
Entry on Porzellanfabrik Henneberg partially incorrect.
Information explaining business relationship with Schiller & Gerbing is wrong.
Mark  in the entry on the company of Quist & Kowalski is (without further comment) stated to have been registered 1925. The registration date and number in the appendix are correct, however the mark had already been registered 20 years earlier and was simply re-registered in 1925 as the end of the maximum registration period had been reached and the proprietor had also changed. That may appear to have been quite a waste of time and money as the company only actively used the mark between 1906 and 1909, however some sources indicate that the mark was desired by somebody else and Quist simply did not want to drop his rights.
Mark shown as Martha Budich has actually been long proven to be that of Karl Klette; one can assume that Danckert copied an incorrect Roentgen entry.
The stated founding year of the R.&E. Pech company is wrong: the factory was the successor of the Gebrüder Kühnlenz which had been founded in 1884; it was sold to R.&E. Pech in 1929. With other words R.&E. Pech started production in the year 1930, not 1830.
The book only shows the first mark used by the porcelain factory of Oechsler & Andechser and completely ignores the second; it also forgets to mention that the factory only existed for a few years before being taken over by Alboth & Kaiser.
The town name in which J.W. Poduschka had his business is stated to be "Krummennußbaum" but that should actually read "Krummnußbaum".
Danckert for some reason did not include an entry for the business of Gisela Keilhauer. He does correctly mention the original factory of Josef Franz Sieber in Schwarza an der Saale near Rudolstadt (Thuringia) but does not point out the Keilhauer connection or the relocation of business to Küps (Bavaria) after the war.
The mark shown with this entry is misplaced, it's actually the second mark missing from the Gaebler & Gröschl entry in Ladowitz bei Dux a few entries further down the page. "G G D" here stands for Gaebler & Gröschl, Dux.
Shown "G G L" stands for Gaebler & Gröschl, Ladowitz bei Dux. The second mark ("G G D") is shown at the top of the same page, see error on Laasdorf.
The shown square doll mark register reference  is wrong, it's actually (as correctly noted in the text) register reference .
The leftmost mark under the entry for the Porselein en Tegelfabriek Mosa is incorreect; it's normally part of the mark used by the factory of E. & A. Müller from Schwarza-Saalbahn (Thuringia).
The entry on the Vernier brothers states that there is no mark known, which Danckert himself proves to be incorrect as he clearly shows (and refers to) it in his entry on the Vereinigte Porzellanfabriken "Porzellan-Union" AG from Klösterle.
The entry for Hugo Lonitz & Co. shows two marks, the one on the right (anchor and P S F) is incorrectly placed as it actually belongs to the next entry on the page, Georg Bennewitz.
The entry for Gebrüder Hubbe shows no marks but at least one of them is listed in the appendix (section 'G'). It shows an anchor flanked by the initials 'G' and 'H' and is correctly attributed to Neuhaldensleben.
Danckert incorrectly quotes the name of the Charles Ahrenfeldt company: his "C. Arenfeld & Son" is missing two letters in the family name.
The fifth mark listed under Franz Prause (crossed lines above crown) is misplaced, it actually belongs under the previous entry for Hermann Ohme.
Entry shows four mark images, two of which are incorrectly placed: the left-most belongs on the right-most position and vice versa. So the one on the right becomes the left one above the register reference  while the former left one becomes the mark that is in the text claimed to have been used from 1977 onwards.
The entry for the factory in Poschetzau states the company name as "W.S.Mayer & Comp.", owned by "J.S.Meyer und Phil. Schreyer". First of all there is an obvious difference between 'Mayer' and 'Meyer', however BOTH versions are incorrect. The company was actually registered by J.S. Maier together with his partners Philip Schreyer and Nathan Ehrlich under the company name J.S.Maier & Co..
It is indicated that the VEB Porzellanfabrik Probstzella operated at least until 1990. That is incorrect as the factory was shut down in 1978.
The entry for Zeh, Scherzer & Co. includes a list of 14 marks. Mark 11 (crowned SJCo) actually belongs to the first entry on the next page as the mark was owned by Jacob, Schödl & Co. (also from the town of Rehau).
The alphabetic text entry for Hädrich & Sohn incorrectly points you towards the city of Rehau; it is actually presented under the city of Reichenbach.
Two entries following each other refer to the Hädrich families (same name, different family). The first each covers Otto Hädrichs Witwe and only shows one of their marks. The second entry covers Hädrich & Sohn and incorrectly shows two marks; the second mark (OHW in circle) actually belongs to the Otto Hädrichs Witwe entry.
The two entries on C.&E. Carstens and Schwabe & Co. indicate that these were two independent factories, truth is that both entries describe different periods of one factory owned by Schwabe and then Carstens. The entry on C.&E. Carstens also states that the second mark shown was still in use 1977, which is incorrect. The factory was nationalized in 1968 and used the former marks until 1972.
The entry on Rudolf Kämmer incorrectly states his name as being Kämmner.
Entry on Württembergische Porzellanmanufaktur Bauer & Pfeiffer partially incorrect, especially when it comes to founding date; also the founding was not initiated by Bauer & Rosenthal as they had split up a year before.
Danckert did not mention that the business of Josef Franz Sieber relocated to Küps after WW2 and continued under the name of Gisela Keilhauer.
The entry on Götze & Heine states that they were located in "Steinbach near Hüttensteinach". That however describes the same town which is normally called "Steinbach near Sonneberg", today a part of Sonneberg itself.
The business of Gerhard Knopf is incorrectly stated as being located in "Steinbach near Sonneberg" (in Thuringia). His business however was always located in "Steinbach an der Haide", today part of the city of Ludwigsstadt in Upper Franconia (Bavaria).
Only the first two marks shown under the entry for Alfred Stellmacher were his, all others belonged to his son, Eduard Stellmacher. This is vital to know as Eduard started to use them after in 1910 having split from the business he was co-founder of in 1892, namely Riessner, Stellmacher & Co.. This of course means that he only started to used them over twelve years after his father's factory had been acquired by Ernst Wahliss (1897), showing that these marks do definitely not belong under Alfred Stellmacher.
Danckert did not include an entry on Josef Strnact directly but the book instead indicates a decoration studio in "Greising, Saxony" which is completely wrong as there evidently never was such a town. The only towns named 'Greising' can be found in Bavaria or Austria, that's irrelevant however as the Strnact decoration studio was actually located in the town of Geisingen (Baden-Württemberg).
Danckert muddled up some company history here. The factory of Hermann Scholz (established 1872) and his successors never had any connection to J. Schnabel & Sohn (a company which did not even operate under that name until 1883).
In his entry on Porzellanfabrik K. Steinmann there is some confusion regarding the use of the eagle-and-initials mark, obviously resulting from the fact that Danckert did not know about the earlier forms of the factory. This knowledge would have made clear that the mark in question could not have been from "around 1840" as Kuno Steinmann evidently did not own the factory until 1883.
There is no entry on the business of Hans Schwägerl & Sohn nor its successor, the Porzellan Schwägerl GmbH.
Dating of Krister Porzellan-Manufaktur marks contains many obvious flaws, some marks are missing completely and the starting period history is wrong.
The entry for Slama & Co. is misleading as we are actually talking about two (!) companies which had a family bond but were otherwise not interacting. The first one had its main office/warehouse located in Austrian Hennersdorf while their retail shop for glass, ceramics and luxury goods was located in Vienna. They did use some custom marks which were applied by the original creators of items they purchased but those have nothing to do with the ones shown in Danckert. Those listed in Danckert belong to the second company, the Keramia Sláma which was located in the town of Znaim (Czech 'Znojmo') in the region of Moravia.
History of the Vereinigte Zeller Fabriken Georg Schmider partially incorrect.
© 2004-2024 C.S.Marshall, all rights reserved