: Nuernberger Metallwarenfabrik Max Dannhorn A.G. (1872 until 1921)
The business of Max Dannhorn was founded in 1872 and actually mainly produced so-called 'toy' magic lanterns made mainly from brass and wood, today attracting attention by their extraordinary beauty. It is often claimed that Max Dannhorn dealt exclusively in magic lanterns, unlike the companies owned by Ernst Planck (E.P.), Johannes Falk (J.F.), Jean Schoener (J.S.), Georg Carette (G.C. Co. N) or the Gebrüder Bing (G.B.N.) which also dealt in other toys like steam engines and trains. But next to magic lanterns, Dannhorn also produced a range of optical toys as well as various other pieces, for example a Spinning Top toy (patent number 12183, applied for in 1881) and metal-framed serving trays.
Main reason for this claim might be that the actual trade mark was rarely applied to their products and most items also produced by Max Dannhorn where combined items, like the wide array of serving trays and similar items. The trays themselves are mostly found with burnished brass or silver-plated frames and have stoneware centerpieces in a creamed white glaze finish with decorations, which nearly always were produced for him by the company of ⇒Villeroy & Boch from the town of Mettlach (Saar Basin).
After the first World War the firm was in a very weak condition and by the year 1921 most of the shares Max Dannhorn had issued had been acquired by the company of Gebrüder Bing (G.B.N.), which then took over and continued the business as Nuernberger Metallwarenfabrik vormals Max Dannhorn ⇒A.G. which used their own marks.
(Picture by Bill Stephenson)
(Picture by Omsk Museum of Fine Art)
© 2004-2020 C.S.Marshall, all rights reserved