Resources Germany Related

PM&M Germany Bavaria Page


The first porcelain factory in the town of Marktredwitz opened in the year 1872 and was known under the name of Porzellanfabrik Jaeger, Thomas & Co. until Fritz Thomas decided to quit in 1898 and open his own factory in 1903. Jaeger of course continued business as Porzellanfabrik Jaeger & Co. and both companies later became famous, each with their own range of products.

[1] Porzellanfabrik Thomas & Ens (1903 until 1908)

It should be mentioned that before Thomas actually decided to leave the company he had intensive talks with his new partner Ens to avoid the problems he had encountered during his time with Jaeger, who had a totally different opinion regarding certain product lines. Ens however was not interested in actually taking up an active part in running the business as he was more like an investor that also carried a well-known name. Based on the ideas Thomas introduced, success was nearly instantaneous and the new company quickly caught the attention of the Porzellanfabrik Rosenthal company in Selb.

[2] Porzellanfabrik Thomas (1908 until 1960)

Partner Ens quit out of the company at the end of 1907 which enabled the Rosenthal AG to advance to major shareholder in 1908; since then, the Porzellanfabrik Thomas has been run as an independent subsidiary of Rosenthal. Official records regarding the number of workers employed show a number of 400 for the year 1913, a number that greatly increased until 1930 (1,000 workers) but dropped down again before 1937 as only 750 workers were registered in that year.

Between 1959 and 1960 production of Thomas items was transferred to a new site named Rosenthal AG, Werk Thomas am Kulm located in Speichersdorf (Upper Franconia) while the factory in Marktredwitz for the next few years continued to produce technical ceramics, following the internal restructuring program of Rosenthal.

[3] Krister Porzellan-Manufaktur AG (1965 until 1971)

After five years of working with ceramics the factory in Marktredwitz was once again fully activated as the Rosenthal group found another use for it. Following the loss of the Rosenthal-owned original Krister Porzellan-Manufaktur AG factory in Waldenburg (Silesia) after World War II the group had built a replacement factory in Landstuhl (Rhineland-Palatinate) during 1952/53. This factory was by now not working efficiently any more, and as the location in Marktredwitz had a better infrastructure it was decided to move the factory to Marktredwitz in 1965. But the name of the great former Silesian enterprise was discontinued in 1971 due to organizational reasons and the factory finally closed down even though the brand and trademarks were still kept active until the year 2004 before Rosenthal finally had the trademark registrations for all of the Krister marks erased.



Image 010222-01-01

Used between 1903 and 1908, stands for Thomas und Ens, Marktredwitz, registered at the RWZR under №·71·820 on September 5th 1904.


Image 010222-01-02

Used between 1905 and 1908, from 1905 onwards this mark slowly replaced the former mark.


Image 010222-01-03

Used between 1905 and 1908, nice example of the previously shown mark template on a piece from the "Louvre" series.


Image 010222-02-01

Used between 1908 and 1939. Mark re-registered at the RWZR under №·419·522 on June 6th 1930. Also used with only one "Thomas" ...


Image 010222-02-02

... without "Bavaria", or with "Germany" instead. Mark version here shown with second quality dot notation.


Image 010222-02-03

Used between 1908 and 1939. Here with additionally stamped "Germany" and an US Pickard decorator mark addition.


Image 010222-02-04

Used between 1908 and 1939, here one without "Thomas" and "Bavaria" written in a straight line.


Image 010222-02-05

Used between 1908 and 1939, another one without "Thomas" but this time with extra "Irving" series addition.


Image 010222-02-06

Used between 1908 and 1939, here with the decorator mark addition Roloff (Münster, North-Rhine Westphalia).


Image 010222-02-07

Used between 1908 and 1939, another one without "Thomas" but this time with included "Sevres" series addition.


Image 010222-02-08

Used between 1939 and 1952, "Thomas Ivory" above "Thomas Bavaria" and "Germany".


Image 010222-02-09

Used between 1939 and 1952, same as before but instead of "Germany" showing the series name "Schloss-Park".


Image 010222-02-10

Used between 1939 and 1952, another version: different-colored and additionally stamped "Germany" on the "La Salle" series.


Image 010222-02-11

Used between 1946 and 1949, "Thomas Ivory" with "US Zone".


Image 010222-02-12

Used between 1946 and 1949, with "US Zone".


Image 010222-02-13

Normally used between 1939 and 1952 but this modified version with the Rosenthal "R" addition was used shortly before the next mark came out.


Image 010222-02-14

Basic mark as before, but here with the "Rosenthal" and "Hauptniederlage Berlin" ("Berlin main store") additions.


Image 010222-02-15

Basic mark as before, but this time with 'BROKAT, DRP №·655·505' registration note and "Rosenthal Konzern" addition.


Image 010222-02-16

Another example, covered up by a green mark. Note the "Rosenthal Konzern" addition.
(Picture courtesy of


Image 010222-02-17

Used between 1953 and 1960, both with or without "Germany".


Image 010222-02-18

Used between 1953 and 1960, including "Germany".


Image 010222-02-19

Used between 1953 and 1960, including "Germany".


Image 010222-02-20

Used between 1953 and 1960, this time with "Marktredwitz" and "Germany".


Image 010222-02-21

Used between 1953 and 1965, mark on Rosenthal items produced in Marktredwitz for capacity reasons. Note the addition "Germania".


Image 010222-02-22

Used between 1953 and 1965, another example. The non-standard addition "Germania" was used on items intended for the Italian market.


Image 010222-02-23

Used between 1960 and 1965, Rosenthal mark with "Chemisch - Technische Porzellane" and "Germania" addition.


Image 010222-02-24

Used between 1959 and 1977, introduced while still in Marktredwitz but actually only really used in Speichersdorf (see there).


Image 010222-02-25

Used between 1959 and 1977, introduced while still in Marktredwitz but actually only really used in Speichersdorf.

[ back to top ]

© 2004-2024 C.S.Marshall, all rights reserved