PM&M / Related / Silesia :

Striegau-Stanowitz (today 'Strzegom-Stanowice')

[1] : Striegauer Porzellanmanufaktur C. Walter & Co. (1873 until around 1913)

The factory was founded by C. Walter in the small town of Stanowitz (today Stanowice) near Striegau (today Strzegom); both towns merged later in history. Straight from the beginning the company produced tableware, china, coffee and tea sets as well as luxury goods like vases, bowls, etc. mainly for export which were then sold via retailers like ⇒Mitchell, Woodbury & Co. in the USA. Successful right from the start, the company was also one of the few in Germany to offer its workers a pension fund and a company health insurance. C. Walter himself soon retired from the business after the transformed the business into a corporation around 1913.

[2] : Striegauer Porzellanfabrik A.G. (around 1913 until 1933)

In the year 1913 itself the factory had its largest workforce with 200 employees and the product range had changed slightly, now including more cobalt pieces and items with the so-called Strohblume ('Strawflower') decoration which were favoured by their customers. As the company completely relied on their contacts to US-based companies the business was later unable to cope with the World Financial Crisis and as result was forced to close in 1933.

Comment(s)

The mark which showed an eagle above 'St.P.M.' and 'GERMANY' was often accompanied by the series name which should not be confused with a decoration name; some examples are Ilse, Lilly and Trianon.

Marks

striegau-01-01
Image 1-01
Used between 1873 and 1898, a version of the mark that includes a stylized scepter.
striegau-01-02
Image 1-02
Used between 1873 and 1898. The initials 'St.P.M.' stand for Striegauer Porzellanmanufaktur.
striegau-01-03
Image 1-03
Used between 1898 and 1920, a simple eagle above 'St.P.M.'.
striegau-01-04
Image 1-04
Used between 1910 and 1920. Same basic mark type as before but with slightly curved text.
striegau-01-05
Image 1-05
Used between 1912 and 1924, registered at the ⇒R.W.Z.R. under №·156·858 on April 1st 1912.
(Picture by Nick Ranta)
striegau-01-06
Image 1-06
Used between 1920 and 1933, slightly different eagle with 'GERMANY' addition.
striegau-01-07
Image 1-07
Used between 1920 and 1933, here with a mark from US retailer Mitchell, Woodbury & Co.; here on 'ILSE' series.
(Picture by Marilyn Parker)
striegau-01-08
Image 1-08
Used between 1920 and 1933, here on 'LILLY' series.
striegau-01-09
Image 2-09
Used between 1924 and 1933, 'STRIEGAU'. Registered at the ⇒R.W.Z.R. under №·318·924 on August 18th 1924.
(Picture by Nick Ranta)
striegau-01-10
Image 2-10
Used between 1924 and 1933. Same 'STRIEGAU' mark, but here in a darker green.
(Picture by Klaas Lok)
striegau-01-11
Image 2-11
Used between 1924 and 1933. Again the same 'STRIEGAU' mark, but this time shown in red.
(Picture by Nick Ranta)

 


© 2004-2017 C.S.Marshall, all rights reserved