The first porcelain factory in the town of Marktredwitz opened in the year 1872 and was known under the name of ⇒Porzellanfabrik Jaeger, Thomas & Co. until Fritz Thomas decided to quit in 1898 and open his own factory in 1903. Jaeger of course continued business as Porzellanfabrik Jaeger & Co. and both companies later became famous, each with their own range of products.
 : Porzellanfabrik Thomas & Ens (1903 until 1908)
It should be mentioned that before Thomas actually decided to leave the company he had intensive talks with his new partner Ens to avoid the problems he had encountered during his time with Jaeger, who had a totally different opinion regarding certain product lines. Ens however was not interested in actually taking up an active part in running the business as he was more like an investor that also carried a well-known name. Based on the ideas Thomas introduced, success was nearly instantaneous and the new company quickly caught the attention of the Porzellanfabrik Rosenthal company in Selb.
 : Porzellanfabrik Thomas (1908 until 1960)
Partner Ens quit out of the company at the end of 1907 which enabled the Rosenthal AG to advance to major shareholder in 1908; since then, the Porzellanfabrik Thomas has been run as an independent subsidiary of Rosenthal. Official records regarding the number of workers employed show a number of 400 for the year 1913, a number that greatly increased until 1930 (1,000 workers) but dropped down again before 1937 as only 750 workers were registered in that year.
Between 1959 and 1960 production of Thomas items was transferred to a new site named Rosenthal A.G., Werk Thomas am Kulm located in ⇒Speichersdorf (Upper Franconia) while the factory in Marktredwitz for the next few years continued to produce technical ceramics, following the internal restructuring program of Rosenthal.
 : Krister Porzellan-Manufaktur A.G. (1965 until 1971)
After five years of working with ceramics the factory in Marktredwitz was once again fully activated as the Rosenthal group found another use for it. Following the loss of the Rosenthal-owned original ⇒Krister Porzellan-Manufaktur A.G. factory in Waldenburg (Silesia) after World War II the group had built a replacement factory in Landstuhl (Rhineland-Palatinate) during 1952/53. This factory was by now not working efficiently any more, and as the location in Marktredwitz had a better infrastructure it was decided to move the factory to Marktredwitz in 1965. But the name of the great former Silesian enterprise was discontinued in 1971 due to 'organizational reasons' and the factory finally closed down even though the brand and trademarks were still kept active until the year 2004 before Rosenthal finally had the trademark registrations for all of the Krister marks erased.
(Picture courtesy of forumuuu.com)
© 2004-2022 C.S.Marshall, all rights reserved