PM&M / Germany / Baden-Wuerttemberg :

Zell am Harmersbach

[1] : Haager, Hoerth & Co. (1818 until 1898)

There's not much known about this company except that Georg Schmider worked there originally and then left to open his own factory. In 1898, the Haager, Hoerth & Co. factory was taken over by Georg Schmider, who made the factory part of his ⇒Vereinigte Zeller Fabriken Georg Schmider which at that time consisted of his own factory and the factory formerly belonging to Schaible & Co.. Part of the quickly struck deal with his former employers was that all remaining stock should be sold under the Haager, Hoerth & Co. name, the profit thereof going to the former proprietors. That way they received a bonus to the already paid takeover price and Schmider could instantly use the factory for his own purpose.

Comment(s)

As the old stock was still sold by Schmider, a few series produced by the original company were sold with old marks until around 1905. Parallel to that, Schmider in 1898 introduced his own round mark type containing the letters 'H.,H. & Co.', showing from which of his factories the items in question came. Various sources indicate that the former proprietors also received a certain percentage from sales of these items.

Marks

zell-02-01
Image 1-01
No introduction date known, but used until 1898.
zell-02-02
Image 1-02
Used a short time from 1898 onwards by Schmider, here on the 'SCHLOSS BADEN-BADEN' item.
zell-02-03
Image 1-03
Used a short time from 1898 onwards by Schmider, here on the 'BAUERNHAUS IM SCHWARZWALD' item.
zell-02-04
Image 1-04
Used a short time from 1898 onwards by Schmider.
(Picture by Lisette De Roche).
zell-02-05
Image 1-05
Used a short time from 1898 onwards by Schmider.
(Picture by Lisette De Roche).

[ ⇒back to top ]


© 2004-2017 C.S.Marshall, all rights reserved