Germany / Bavaria / Mitterteich:
 : Porzellanfabrik Ludwig Lindner (1867 until 1895)
During 1867 Ludwig Lindner founded the first porcelain factory in the town of Mitterteich. The facility was later torn down during a modernization process and a new factory hall was built at the same location and dubbed 'Fabrik A'; the name stuck until the factory closed.
 : Mosanic Pottery Max Emanuel & Co. (1895 until 1917)
In 1895 the factory was taken over by the London-based 'Max Emanuel & Co.', represented by their manager Pappenheim. 'Max Emanuel & Co.' actually was a glass and porcelain retailer with a medium-sized store directly in London which had a large network of suppliers and other business contacts. Many renown companies worked with him or sold items via his shop in London, for example the company of 'Riessner, Stellmacher & Kessel' (Amphora) in Bohemia. His main interest however remained glass and around 1898/1899 commission Loetz to make 'copies' (based on the shape, not the decoration) of the 'Clutha' glass designs Christopher Dresser supplied to James Couper (thanks to Bradford Braden for this information).
The Mitterteich factory employed around 360 workers in 1913 and just as an interesting side note it should be mentioned that the porcelain decorator Julius Müller from 1895 onwards also run a guesthouse (Gasthof zum Lindenzweig) on 'Großensterzer Straße' which was also used as canteen for the workers of the porcelain factory and the guesthouse was also a meeting point for members of the social-democratic party in the area. Anyway, during World War I the factory was expropriated and continued business as a stock corporation. However there is one very interesting question that remains as the main shareholder is quoted to have been Alfred Pappenheimer. A few people of course still wonder if this was a mere coincidence or if either of the last names actually represented an adapted version of the other.
 : Porzellanfabrik Mitterteich A.G. (1917 until 2006)
In the year 1925 the factory employed 300 people, however not much else is known following the transformation. Years later in 1988 a huge fire completely destroyed the 'Fabrik C' part of the facility which was rebuilt. From 1989 onwards the production area had a total of 20,000 square meters again. The 'Mitterteich A.G.' seemed to cope quite well with the overall situation on the German market. But in August 2005 the small city was rocked by the news that the company, represented by the board of directors, had to file for bankruptcy. For the 360 workers (70 percent of these female), it came as a shock. The small hope of an investor being able to save the company was destroyed by the local banks, who did not want to support the Mitterteich facility any longer. On March 1st 2006 the doors leading to the factory closed for the last time.
(Picture by Janice Hingston)
(Picture by Ginni D. Snodgrass)
(Picture by Chris Mills)
(Picture by Janine Hyatt)
(Picture by Jacqueline Kacprzak)
(Picture by Dagmar Schmelzing)
(Picture by Lisa Simonetti)
Copyright © 2004-2012 Porcelain Marks & More. All rights reserved.